Sunday, November 2, 2008

Welcome Captain :)

I like MS Dhoni. He brings Indian cricket from the level of demigods to the level I can identify with. Dhoni's presence on field, even in tight situations doesn't make any happening look surreal. There I see a ever calm cricketer who gives his 100% and goes about this "day at office" in a efficient manner.

I have been fortunate to follow Indian cricket at a stage where the fab-4 and Anil Kumble played; all five are very unassuming cricketers. MS Dhoni might not be as gifted as the fab-4, but he has something which they don't, he treats cricket as what it truly is, a game. He doesn't get carried away when situation is tense. This shows me that while he is satisfied at a job well done and that he is immensely happy, he doesn't show that he has done anything extraordinary.

I am pretty sure that if Dhoni were to hop and jump about, he would have even greater fan following than he currently has (if that were possible). The reason for this is, simply put we Indians are hero worshippers. We need hero's to get us out of the mundane and let us dream. Our gods, our politicians (meant freedom fighters), our sportsmen are all hero's. I too am one of them, I too am a hero worshipper; but sometimes it becomes too much. Look at other nations, look at Australian cricket for example, don't they have great achievers like our cricket? Still although Shane Warne is appreciated immensely, he is not hero worshipped. Nor would a fan of Ponting and a fan of Gilchrist come to blows to prove who is better.

Therein for me lies the charm of Dhoni, he is so unassuming that I don't feel the need to hero worship him, in fact it helps me to identify with him. It also keeps me level headed and makes me think about the sweat and struggle behind him reaching where he is. It makes me feel that Dhoni was a commoner, a person like me and he got to where he is, so what got him there? This is a question I have rarely put to myself in regards to any other Indian cricketer, in my lack of thoughts about their initial struggles (although I know them through media), I, very Indian like assume that they got where they are because they are who they are. And this 'who' is not what I feel was once a commoner like me. It's not to their fault that I feel this way, it my hero worshipping nature, just accepting greatness and never questioning how it came about. But because I can identify with Dhoni, I question myself as to how Dhoni got where he got to - this question opens a positive aspect of my watching cricket, it leads way to thoughts and actions that are constructive; it also lets me understand when Dhoni fails and it teaches me things when he bounces back.

I don't think Dhoni is 'professional' as professional is; he is a emotional cricketer, but by maintaining his calm demeanor he has brought Indian cricket and cricketer's from the sky high reaches of unreachable greatness to thoughts and actions about becoming personally successful.

With these thoughts, I would like to welcome MS Dhoni as India's new test captain. May he and India team achieve many milestones in years to come and I, as ever will be a eager watcher, albeit less dewy eyed and more thoughtful. Welcome Captain :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with your thoughts on Dhoni.. However you have to remember the older you get, the more you have achieved, the more pressure there is on you to sustain.....it would be interesting to see whether Dhoni would be the same after 10 years...most of the things you said about dhoni would apply to sachin of 15 yrs ago (no pressure, care free, hard work, middle class, common man etc)...

Arun